Monday, October 26, 2009

PETROGLYPH NATIONAL MONUMENT (Albuquerque, NM)


I don't know why I find Petroglyphs so fascinating, but I do; I guess it's because they reflect the spirits of the people who created them. Petroglyphs are rock carvings made by pecking directly on the rock surface using a stone chisel and a hammerstone. Many of the images are recognizable as animals, people, and crosses. I visited the Petroglyph National Monument in Albuquerque, NM today. There are over 25,000 petroglyphs here; 90% of them being created by the ancestors of today's Pueblo Indians.
(Click on photos to enlarge.)
First I had to climb this HUGE mountain
to see them (I'm sure Everest isn't even this high!)
There are so many Petroglyphs there,
this is just a few of them.








Some beautiful flowers along the trail
And some pretty leaves changing color in Albuquerque