Friday, November 6, 2009

GRAND CANYON

THE GRAND CANYON
(Click on photos to enlarge.)
I saw this little family of deer as I entered the park.
One would never get tired of looking at the Grand Canyon!
Me in the Grand Canyon
As many times as I have visited the Grand Canyon,
I have never hiked down into it. This time, I decided to do it.
I hiked down it! I found out one thing: It is far
easier going down than it is coming up!

This was a tunnel on the way down. It is a loooong way down!
Those specks - those are people!
That's where I was headed!
The pathway is never-ending!
These pictographs (rock paintings) are
on the way down. The park service doesn't
advertise that they are there, because they
don't want graffiti all over them!
These looked like reindeer to me;
but, I think they are elk (of course, I
am not qualified to interpret them!)
This little bird joined me for a picnic
on my hike down the Canyon
NOW. . . this was the very best part of going
down into the Canyon - wild Big Horn Sheep!
I saw several families of them. It is
astonishing to watch how they balance
themselves on the cliffs.

This was a baby.
They can be aggressive animals, but they
did not bother me - nor did I bother them.
They are sometimes on the pathway, but
get out of the way when people come by.
I got a little too close to her, so she walked
towards me - but I just moved away.
This was a mother and baby out on a cliff.
They eat something buried in the rocks.
What a face!
This was some kind of power-struggle
between two of them!
They just seem to hang off the side of the
rock - it's amazing to see how agile they are
The colors change as the sun starts to set
People laughed at me when I bought this
hiking stick. It was the best $12 I ever spent!
It made the hike up so much easier!