Monday, November 9, 2009

I AM SO ASHAMED!

I am ashamed that I fell prey to this tourist trap!
It's called Meteor Crater - located a little east of
Flagstaff, Arizona.
Supposedly, a meteor hit the Earth like 400 million
years ago and made this big hole. Some farmer found
it (the hole, not the meteor), threw a fence around it and
sold tickets to see it. (I can't believe I paid $15 to see it.)
(Click on photos to enlarge - if you are so inclined!)
This is the big 15-dollar hole in the ground!
It is pretty big. You can get perspective by
looking at the people at the bottom right of the photo.
They store junk down in the bottom of the big
15-dollar hole in the ground. There is also an
astronaut cut-out standing with a cardboard
American flag (I have no idea why!)
Now, this is really special! It's a piece
of the actual meteor that hit. There are only 3
big pieces of it in the universe, and this is the largest.
You can buy little, dime-sized pieces in the
gift shop (which also is a Subway sandwich shop)
for a mere $10!
On the bright side, the people who run it are
super-nice and you get to see a 7-minute movie and
a museum explaining meteors!